• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 Phazer MTX Reverse/Drive help

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
I just picked up an 09 Phazer MTX for my in-laws last night with 300 miles on it. I noticed that it doesn't engage all the way unless I rock the sled back and forth a little or maybe it's A LOT sometimes. The light just blinks until I rock it and then I can here the engagement clunk. Don't know squat about Yami 4 Stokes but did some searching today and found that some people say the chain tention is too tight. Anybody on here have this problem and if so was this the cure?
Thanks for any feedback.

Yamaha has a bulletin on this. It's a shim on the secondary for belt height and possibly a new (different belt). My wifes Phazer had it done but all it does is require less rocking as frequently. And actually it's easier if you stand up and make the nose dive with a good compression on the handlebars.

H

hurricane2

Nov 27, 2007
Check your belt deflection. If the top of the belt is above the top of the secondary clutch you need to add a shim (yamaha p/n 90201-345g2-00) between the secondary clutch sheaves to loosen the belt. This will remove drag from the gearbox, unloading the gears so it can shift. Also make sure the idle speed when warmed up is 1700-1900RPM.

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
Yamaha has a bulletin on this. It's a shim on the secondary for belt height and possibly a new (different belt). My wifes Phazer had it done but all it does is require less rocking as frequently. And actually it's easier if you stand up and make the nose dive with a good compression on the handlebars.
Kinda figured that out tonight. It really isn't a big deal but seems ridiculous and this sled is being delivered to a couple in their 60's. So I want it perfect for them.

Check your belt deflection. If the top of the belt is above the top of the secondary clutch you need to add a shim (yamaha p/n 90201-345g2-00) between the secondary clutch sheaves to loosen the belt. This will remove drag from the gearbox, unloading the gears so it can shift. Also make sure the idle speed when warmed up is 1700-1900RPM.
Top of the belt is flush with the secondary. Also did check and adjust the chain and nothing changed.

S
Dec 18, 2008
Laramie, Wyoming
My wifes 07 does the same thing. Took it in for the bulletin and it still does it. Just not as bad. We used to have to shut the sled down to change gear direction but now we just have to rock it. It has never been an effortless shift.

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
my old ladies shorty does the same thing but im the only one who gets a work out shifting it. i think i should put her on the old john deere for a year!!lol​

Premium Features