• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recall - New Clutch Cover!!

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana

Who is rushing out to get the added clutch cover? Part of the recall is inspecting the clutch and if it’s bad it will be replaced for free. I might take mine in just for that. Is there a time limit on recalls? I would prefer to just wait until my 858 arrives and drop off the ascender then. Versus making several trips, dealer is 2 hours away.

Z
Jan 26, 2011

Who is rushing out to get the added clutch cover? Part of the recall is inspecting the clutch and if it’s bad it will be replaced for free. I might take mine in just for that. Is there a time limit on recalls? I would prefer to just wait until my 858 arrives and drop off the ascender then. Versus making several trips, dealer is 2 hours away.
It is a recall so it has no end date.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I wonder how they determined the vin range for this recall. I just checked my vin on my ‘20 compared to the recall and it’s not in the range they list, yet I’ve got a cracked team sitting on the shelf from this sled.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I filed a cpsc complaint some four years ago about imminent cat primary clutch failures. Four years to take action, meh.
I’m thinking I was the first but I guess the failures and injuries took time to occur.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Heck- I going to see how much a can squeeze out of cat- My VIN is within range and had a crack in my Team 2 years ago- replaced it with an Adapt.
If I get a clutch for the sled from cat..I see that as a bonus!!
Curious,,,, if it would be a TEAM or ADAPT !!

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Probably Adapt clutch as Team is no longer available. Heard 1 person inquired to dealer and was told if replaced he would have to buy weights as the old ones wouldn't fit so sounds like Adapt. Probably another reason the price dropped so much on the Adapt.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Heck- I going to see how much a can squeeze out of cat- My VIN is within range and had a crack in my Team 2 years ago- replaced it with an Adapt.
If I get a clutch for the sled from cat..I see that as a bonus!!
Curious,,,, if it would be a TEAM or ADAPT !!
Go for it! Put the cracked one back on and take her in to the dealer. They are legally required by cpsc to replace it if cracked. I don’t think you’ll get much of an argument from cat being it’s a recall on cpsc.gov now.

It’s a free $500+ clutch from cat when you sell the new one. In a round about way, the govt told them to give everyone $500 bucks. Hahaha this awesome!

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
From what I can see in the install video you won't be able to change a belt without removing the primary clutch with the new guard installed.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Well that is a big nope! I’ll just continue to keep an eye on the clutch and look for cracks after every trip. Blow a belt on the mountain and what the hell are you supposed to do with that garbage. Maybe you can fold the belt enough to get around it but what a pain in the ass. I want to see a how to video from AC on how to change the belt with that added. Nice one cat!!!!

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Ill just tell the dealer to install the new guard with Zip ties-cause it's coming off already once I get home.:cool:
Hope this works out cause I still have springs and weights in my adapt already- and if's a Team I have those also

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Got a link to the video?
It's in our dealer portal I will see if I can get it to post. I talked to Cat Tech service and they said it could be done without removing the primary clutch but would be very difficult. I do not think it can be done without removing the primary.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
It looks like installing this guard would make it harder to periodically check the clutch for cracks as well. This looks like a hard pass and I would rather just perform regular clutch inspections during pre-rides/maintenance, which is what I do anyway.

Premium Features