How To Clean Your Snowmobile Carbs
Follow these easy steps to properly clean your 'rack' twin flat slide carb
August 10, 2009
Today's new "rack" twin cylinder flat slide carburetors are still using the same technology as the older unracked or round slide carbs of years past. However, today's newer versions have some serious performance and tuneability improvements. The use of only one idle adjustment, one throttle pull, and one choke lever are a few of the advancements that help with consumer consistency and reliability.
Carbed - There are several high-performance "rack" twin flat slide carbed sleds on the market, such as the 800R X-RS from Ski-Doo. When you weld the throttle to the bar on this sled you'd better hold on, but to keep carbed sleds running at their peak you must service them.
When comparing an older round slide carb to the newer flat slide you'll notice an increase in throttle response and improved gasoline atomization, which in-turn will increase horsepower potential, and gas mileage. Even though the newer carburetors are more advanced and easier to use, many of the same theories still apply, and you should still regularly inspect, clean and maintain carbs regardless of how advanced they are.
You are currently not logged in. This article is only available to American Snowmobiler magazine subscribers.
Already a subscriber to American Snowmobiler magazine?
If you are already a subscriber to American Snowmobiler magazine you must log into your account to view this article. If you do not have an account you
will need to register for one. Registration is FREE and only take a couple minutes.
Non-subscribers, Subscribe TODAY and save!
SUBSCRIBE TODAY and get these great benefits:
- Articles - Access to thousands of American Snowmobiler articles from 1998 to present.
- Shoot-out Results - Premium members get to see our shoot-out results first, right after the events happen.
- Interactive Buyers Guide - Look at specs and compare multiple sleds, side by side, from 1997 to the current model year.
- Industry Directory - Use our searchable snowmobile business directory guide to find a performance shop or other snowmobile related companies in your area.
- Photo Galleries - View and submit action-packed sled photos of your favorite sleds in action!
- Reader Forums - Participate in our reader forums