• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What would you guys do?

B

branr1

Nov 26, 2007
I have some hard choices to make. Right now I own two sleds, I ride a 2005 Summit 1000RT. My sled has 450 miles and a few upgrades including, Billet wheels and after market Exhaust can, 8 inch riser block for the bars, Fox Float shocks on the front and a boss Seat. The reason it has such low miles is that it never ran right from the dealer. I bought it new as a hold over sled in 2006. The dealer did all the upgrades and it still fouled plugs all the time and just ran like crap in general. Last year I pulled the rear most heat exchanger near the flap in an effort to make it run better it helped a little I think bringing up the engine temp a little was part of the problem. But even then it was not right. I took it back to the dealer and they told me that the problem could be fixed but it would cost me $365.00 even though the Sled at that point only had about 300 miles on it and it had never run right, it was out of warrenty. So I was mad but I paid the money and they put an exhaust temp probe in-line and reflashed the computer with an updated program. At this point my Sled ran a lot better there is one small hick-up every now and again but for the most part it runs really well. I had been thinking about putting an aftermarket pipe on it and running it for one more year now that it seems to be working alot better.
But here is the hard part after talking with my wife about it and doing a little research I really have been thinking a lot about buying a Yamaha Apex and putting a Turbo on it. The wife gave me the ok but she also said its a standing offer so I can wait and think about it and ride my Skidoo for now. I missed my chance to buy a hold over 2007 Apex so now it looks like I would have to buy a 2008. I am leaning toward a Boondockers Turbo System. The problem I have is that I have never really got to enjoy my Summit it was not until late last season that it finally had most the bugs worked out. I usally put at least 1500 miles on per season. I have been stuck riding the wifes/My old 900 Mountain Cat it has a lot of work done to it and it runs great and has always been a fun sled but its the wifes now. So what would you guys do? I think I would be in to the Apex for about $17,000 dollars and that is a lot to think about.:confused: :)

Last edited:
L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
???

thats a hard call now that your rt has no warrenty, that sled scares me with no warrenty i had the same 05 and had no problems but i had friends with 05s too that had engine problems and thats real expensive in the 1000. Thats a flip of the coin.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Sell the RT if you can find a sucker. . . uhm, buyer for it. Good luck.

J
Nov 28, 2007
Lake Tahoe and Chicago
being a yami guy i would tell you to get the yami, but remember if you turbo a new yami it will void the warr. (atleast by me) but i would put the poo in the paper and see if a sucker would buy it (telling him of the problems :) and ride it untill it sells or blows up in about 50 more miles Good Luck

Premium Features